OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a cross-platform streaming and recording program. You can use it to add images, overlays, filters, backgrounds, and more to the video feed created by a physical camera connected to your computer.
To get started using OBS with Riverside, set up its Virtual Camera mode.
Virtual Cameras like OBS use a lot of your computer's processing power to enhance your video feed. When using a virtual camera, we recommend reducing the Studio's default quality (recording resolution) to ensure the best recording and a local High Quality Track with a smooth frame rate.
Step by step
- Using a computer, download and install OBS.
- Close any other programs that may be accessing your computer's camera, including any browser windows with the Riverside Studio.
- Open OBS and click Tools, then select Auto-Configuration Wizard.
- Under Usage Information, select I will only be using the virtual camera.
- Click Next, then click Apply Settings.
- In the Sources panel, click + (the plus button) and select Video Capture Device.
- Enter a nickname for the device and click OK.
- In the dropdown next to Device, select a camera connected to your computer and click OK.
- In the OBS Controls panel on the right, click Start Virtual Camera.
- After starting the OBS Virtual Camera, open your browser and join a Riverside Studio.
- On the Lobby page, select the OBS Virtual Cam as the camera input.
On a Mac, you may need to also need to Review App Permissions for OBS so it can use your computer's camera and microphone.
Use + (the plus button) under Sources to add additional visual sources like images, text, a display/screen capture, or a web page.
Text or graphics you add in OBS will look reversed in your video frame in the Riverside Studio because your video is mirrored by default. The video track Riverside records is not mirrored and will look like it does in the OBS preview to other participants.
- Can I use a virtual camera when I record?
- Use Mobile Device as Second Camera Angle (Multicam Mode)
- Troubleshooting: I don’t see my camera in the menu of the Lobby or Studio