Before you Host a Studio session using your mobile device, here are some tips for a seamless recording experience.
Using Riverside in your web browser as a Host provides more Studio management functions than the mobile app (more details).
- Download and install the Riverside app on your device.
- Restart your device before recording for best operation.
- If using an external mic, confirm its compatibility with the app.
- We recommend a wired microphone. However, a mic built into wired headphones or a wireless microphone is also suitable. Check our recommended mics for detailed suggestions and equipment guides.
- Place the device on a stable surface, like a tripod or mount, if possible. Bring the camera to the same height as your eyes.
- Record in a space with daylight or with a lamp in front of you.
- The strongest light should be in front of you, not behind you.
- Unlock your device's orientation so it can rotate before you record.
- We recommend using landscape mode (horizontal) rather than portrait (vertical).
- Stay in the Riverside app while recording. You may want to Pause device notifications or turn on 'Do Not Disturb' mode.
- Switching to another app can interrupt your recording track.
Prep Your Guests
All participants should:
- Wear headphones to prevent echo and increase overall audio quality.
- Use an external microphone, rather than a device’s built-in mic, which picks up more noise.
- We recommend a wired microphone. However, a wireless microphone or a microphone built into wired headphones is also suitable.
- Temporarily turn off any VPNs, browser extensions, content blockers, or firewalls.
- Ask Guests to confirm that they have also turned these off.
- Use a computer if planning to share their screen.
- Test screen sharing from the Studio before recording.
- Close other browser tabs and applications, as many as possible — especially any that also use the microphone or camera.
- Check and adjust their computer's microphone sensitivity, if needed.
When You Record
- Confirm that Guests' tracks are recording.
- Look for the red dot indicator in the corner of each Guest's video frame.
- When you stop the recording, remind Guests to leave the Riverside browser window or app open until their track upload is Complete.
- Leave the Riverside app open until you see the 100% Uploaded confirmation.
As long as you can hear the other participants, you are still connected to the Studio. Your local recording will be higher quality than what you see and hear during the live call.
Using a strong cellular data connection may be more reliable than WiFi. You can check your connection here.
- Join a Studio Using the Mobile App (Overview)
- Use Mobile Device as Second Camera Angle (Multicam Mode)
- Watch: Best Way to Record Professional Video & Audio with Your iPhone (Riverside YouTube Channel)
- Watch: Record Video Podcasts on iPad with the Riverside App (Riverside YouTube Channel)