You can connect many compact or DSLR cameras or camcorders manufactured by Sony to your computer by using:
- a USB cable and Sony's Imaging Edge Webcam software, or
- an HDMI cable connected with a video capture card.
|Maximum Video Resolution
|Sony.co: Imaging Edge Webcam
- Set the camera's frame rate to match the Studio's set frame rate.
- Ask the Host or Producer to check the Studio's settings if you are unsure of its current frame rate.
- Connect the camera to an external power source, rather than using its battery.
- If your camera has the option for USB Power Supply, turn it On. Otherwise, make sure the camera is fully charged before you record.
If using Sony Imaging Edge Webcam:
The exact steps depend on your camera model. See full, detailed instructions at Sony.com.
- In the camera's settings, enable its 'PC Remote' function.
- Connect the camera to your computer via USB cable, then set the camera to AUTO mode.
- Open Riverside in your browser.
- Set the camera to Movie mode.
- Select Sony Imaging Edge as the video input in Riverside.
- For best results, do not connect the camera wirelessly.
If using an HDMI capture card:
- Check your Sony camera's compatibility details at the capture card manufacturer's website, like on Elgato.com.
- Turn off the camera's informational overlays, such as the focus box, resolution, etc. (called a 'Clean HDMI Feed') so it is not present on your recorded video.
- Disable any power-saving settings that automatically turn the camera off after a period of non-use.
- Confirm that you have selected the capture card as your video input in Riverside (like "Cam Link 4K"), rather than "Sony Imaging Edge" or the name of the camera model.
Select Camera Video Guides (from the Elgato YouTube Channel)
- Cam Link 4K with Sony A5100
- Cam Link 4K with Sony A6000
- Cam Link 4K with Sony A6100
- Cam Link 4K with Sony A6500
- Cam Link 4K with Sony A6600
- Cam Link 4K with Sony A7 III
- Cam Link 4K with Sony A7R II
- Cam Link 4K with Sony AX53
- Cam Link 4K with Sony AX100
- You cannot use the camera connected to the computer while Sony Imaging Edge Desktop's Remote (tether) shooting function is active.
- Quit Imaging Edge Desktop first, then connect your camera using Imaging Edge Webcam.